The work of the group covers several broad fields:
- Reef fish biology and ecology, specially focusing on the conservation of apex predators
- Marine protected areas (MPAs) ecology and monitoring
- Dispersion and mobility of marine organisms and connectivity between populations
- Spatial and temporal assessment of artisanal and recreational fisheries
- Marine ecosystem functioning, modelling and their responses to global changes
- Marine governance, assessment and conservation of marine ecosystems service
Our research is mainly carried out in the south-western Mediterranean Sea and its Marine Protected Areas, with a special attention to the MPAs of Cabo de Palos – Islas Hormigas and Cabo Tiñoso. We are also involved in different projects that take us to work throughout the other sectors of the Mediterranean Sea and in South America.